People are always asking us for advice and we are glad to do it. Here are five things we think you should know if you get hurt on the job in Illinois.
- Report your injury to your employer ASAP. Technically you have 45 days from the accident, but the longer you wait, the more likely your case will have problems. Insurance companies are looking for any reason at all to deny you. Don’t give them one. If you get hurt on Friday, but try to tough it out and realize on Sunday that you need to see a doctor, you better tell your boss what happened Monday morning when you show up for work.
- It’s illegal to fire someone for filing a workers’ compensation claim. Too often people don’t pursue a case because of this. Next thing they know they have no job and no case. I remember one poor woman that did this and she was on social security disability at 40 because she let the injury become way worse.
- Nothing is more important than your health. Case or no case, if you aren’t feeling well or are injured, get to the doctor.
- Hopefully you never have to fire a lawyer, but if you do, it won’t cost you any more to hire a new one. Total attorney fees can never be more than 20%.
- The law for workers in Illinois is very strong and designed to protect you. You just need to become educated as to what your rights are and make sure that those rights are protected.
We are workers’ compensation attorneys who help people with Illinois work injuries anywhere in IL via our statewide network of attorneys. Contact us and we will answer your questions or find the right lawyer for your situation.