You suspect that your foot pain is caused by standing while you work day after day. Does that mean that you can file a workers’ compensation claim if it gets so bad that you can no longer work or to cover any necessary treatment? The answer is that it depends whether your job put you at a higher risk for your foot injury, which might be plantar fasciitis.

Lots of people stand for long periods of time during the day. The act of standing is not job-specific, and therefore an injury caused by standing is not generally covered by workers’ compensation. However, there are exceptions. Look closely at what your job requires of you. If you have to wear shoes that may have caused the injury, then it would be related to your job. If you have to stand on uneven surfaces, or in a manner that is different and more strenuous than regular standing, you should be able to argue that the injury was job related.

If your heel injury was caused by a single incident, such as a fall at work, then there will be less of a question as to whether it’s covered under workers’ compensation. Most likely, you’ll be covered, because it’s easy to point to your job as the clear cause.

Plantar fasciitis can be caused by age, obesity and diabetes. Even if you suspect one of these non-work causes is behind your injury, you might be eligible for workers’ compensation if your job aggravates or accelerates your condition. The fact that you have a pre-existing condition does not automatically disqualify you from getting benefits.

It’s always a good idea to report your injury and then file a claim if you believe your job is to blame. Foot injuries can be serious and last for years. If it turns out that you need surgery, or you can no longer do your job, you’ll want to know you did everything you can to get paid through workers’ compensation. You might be able to get 100% medical coverage as well as missed pay. Most workers with permanent injuries get some sort of settlement, as well.

Your employer and their insurance company are focused on their bottom line rather than your health or financial stability. Consider hiring an attorney to get the right advice.

By Michael Helfand