I talk to people every day who have unfortunately sustained terrible injuries.  But every now and then I get someone who tells me what’s wrong with them and I’ll ask who their doctor is.  This can be insightful as I know hundreds of doctors throughout Illinois and every now and then I know if they are treating with a bad one or a good one to the point that it’s helping or hurting their case.

About one out of every 50 people stumble when I ask this question though.  I’ll hear something like, “I don’t have a doctor because I don’t like going to doctors and besides, I know my body better than anyone.”  That’s how they let me know their leg is broken or their back is injured.

You can’t prove to an Arbitrator or Judge that your leg is broken without an x-ray.  You can’t show a back injury without a doctor stating you have one and usually you need a MRI.

I’ve heard from countless people that hope to prove their case based on what they have to say.  A common call is from someone who wants to receive TTD benefits because they haven’t worked for a month, but no doctor has said they can’t work or that they need restrictions on their job. You can’t say “I don’t feel well” and expect to be paid.  Only a doctor can take you off of work because they are (hopefully) independent.

If this post sounds harsh, you should know that I am the type of attorney who will never tell you what you want to hear but will always tell the truth.  I don’t doubt most of the people who call me, but haven’t been to a doctor.  But a Judge will.  You prove that you are injured based on what your medical reports say.  Your testimony is relevant too, but it won’t prove nearly as much as what your doctor thinks.

I hate going to the doctor too and I’ve had MRI’s and epidural steroid injections so I know that some of this treatment isn’t a lot of fun. But if you want to receive workers’ compensation benefits, you can’t be a tough guy/girl. If you aren’t feeling well, see a MD and find out what is wrong with you.  It’s best for your health and best for your case.