90% of the cases an Illinois work comp attorney will see have common injuries.  Carpal tunnel, herniated discs, torn rotator cuffs, knee injuries, etc.  But one in ten or so have more unique injuries and if your lawyer doesn’t know much about that type of problem and doesn’t have a history of handling similar claims, it could be trouble for you.  One such example is an injury called rhabdomyolysis.

If you have a job that requires a lot of physical activity, and were injured on the job, rhabdomyolysis is a very serious condition you may have acquired during the injury.  Rhabdomyolysis is a syndrome that takes form in the body after a muscle injury causes the fibers in your muscles to die and release their contents into your blood stream. This can be extremely dangerous and lead to serious complications.

Routine heavy lifting, muscle strain, even a fall or crush injury could cause enough damage to a muscle for it to begin releasing the toxins into your body. These toxins can cause everything from kidney failure to heart failure and even nerve damage. Some symptoms include muscle pain, weakens, and dehydration.  You see it a lot with weight lifters and athletes who do a lot of reps in the gym.  You also see it with workers who do extensive lifting or

The key to making sure you can remain healthy is early detection and diagnosis. If you are seen by a doctor who is able to determine rhabdomyolysis before the syndrome progresses, you can expect a full recovery from the damage. If you are not treated in a timely matter, you risk life long lasting damage.  In most cases, the treatment involves a trip to the hospital for fluids and additional medications.

If you were injured on the job by either heavy lifting or a crush injury, make sure you go to the doctor immediately as this will reduce your risks of having permanent damages. Also, make sure you let your doctor know that it is an on the job injury so that workers compensation can be contacted. Any time you are injured on the job, workers compensation should pick up your medical bills and also pay you during your down time.

If you are having issues getting  your injury covered or just know that you need representation we would be happy to help you.  Fill out the form to the right or call us at (312) 346-5578.